Thursday, June 08, 2006

The first time my mother, Frankie H., ever went on an airplane she was 54 -- same age I am now strangely enough (and something I just this second realized). Of course I thought of her as very old!!

Anyway, the occasion was a trip to Europe with 18 year old me as tour guide, my mother and my Auntie whose husband, my dear Uncle Royal, had passed away just a few months before. The obstensible reason was in fact to cheer Auntie up. But she and I were quite worried about my mother. Would she be fearful on the plane (to this day I'm a very nervous flyer and while Auntie didn't admit it I think she was a bit leery as well)? Would she be able to handle the long flight to Copenhagen (with later stops in Paris and in London).

Well, Mama got on the plane (in the days when flying on a 747 was still a huge novelty) looked around, got settled, and fell promptly asleep, waking only to eat dinner and then to get ready to disembark. And Auntie and I? We stayed awake all night watching some atrocious movie and talking quietly. Consequently when we arrived in Copenhagen, my mother was raring to go and all Auntie and I wanted to do was collapse in the hotel room. Mama, that's when you were at your very best!

So, as we prepare to embark tomorrow evening (with a thunderstorm forecast that is causing heart palpatations already), I'll think of Mama up there in Heaven watching over us! Safe travels to us all!

And next posting -- from the Hills of Tuscany...

P.S. Greece trip didn't go so well...moral there, don't travel with ex's so soon after break ups...but on to happier, sunnier days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home